Residential Construction Drafter/3D Modeler – Austin, TX
Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 1,000 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
Amherst is looking for one or more Austin-based Residential Construction Drafter/3D Modelers to join our Visualization and Design team. This position will be responsible for creating, editing and finalizing construction plans in Sketchup as well as 3D renderings and interior/exterior elevations for residential renovation projects.
Who we are:
The Visualization and Design group is a small, fast-growing team and is doing some really cool stuff. You’ll have the opportunity to help shape the culture and how we draft and design construction plans and renderings. Our designs will bring a much-needed visualization tool company-wide, from construction and field operations to our sales and marketing teams. Providing detailed construction plans and renderings help ensure that we can deliver a high quality finished product to our customers. We are looking for drafters and 3D modelers that like to move fast and work with a sense of urgency. We take pride in our team and our work.
Who you are:
- Knowledgeable. You are a real pro and deeply understand residential plans, drafting, and construction.
- Intellectually Curious. You are constantly learning and working to improve yourself and your processes.
- Entrepreneurial. You enjoy wearing many hats and hustling to get things done.
- Problem Solver. You are a critical thinker with a strong eye for detail who brings solutions not problems.
- Hard Working. You aren’t afraid of a tough deadline.
- Scrappy & Fast. You like finding creative ways to quickly move projects forward.
- Good Communicator. You easily explain complex technical issues to a non-technical audience.
- Team Player. You put team success first and have a high degree of personal character.
- Accountable. You are willing to take ownership and you take pride in your work.
What you'll do:
- Responsible for creating, editing and finalizing construction plans for residential renovation projects in SketchUp and Layout.
- Drafting of floor plans, interior/exterior elevations, tile and cabinetry drawings, and 3D renderings.
- Revise plans as needed and ensure all affected sheets and details are updated.
- Execute established drafting standards and procedures and ensure established deadlines are met.
- Review and check layout and design drawings prepared by other Design Team members and assist in making modifications prior to releasing drawings to the field.
- Contribute to the planning and execution of process improvements and initiatives aimed at increasing the efficiency of the department.
- Help across all design team objectives, diving in where help is needed while working cross-functionally with other members of the Design Team.
- Communicate professionally with vendors, estimators, subcontractors and internal teams.
- Perform other duties assigned by Head of Visualization/Design.
What you'll bring:
- 2+ years of experience
- AS/AA degree in drafting/construction-related field or equivalent years of experience
- A solid foundation of SketchUp is required.
- Experience with Layout, ConDoc Tools extension in SketchUp and AutoCAD is preferred.
- Experience creating construction plans for residential renovations and new builds
- Firm understanding of the Construction Documentation process and best practices
- Experience with 3D modeling, renderings and elevations in Sketchup required
- Ability to read and understand architectural drawings
- Should have a mathematical aptitude and moderate level of structural visualization
- Experience in layout, color, lighting, materials selection and installations
- Experience with common drafting and design tools and processes
- Construction project management software experience is a plus
What we offer:
Amherst is a privately held corporation located in West Austin with beautiful views of Lake Austin and the loop 360 bridge in a modern workspace with open floor plans.
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO, 8 paid holidays
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- On-premise fitness center, locker rooms
- Daily catered lunches, fully stocked kitchen with snacks/drinks
- Relaxed casual environment and weekly/quarterly office events!
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.