Big Data Engineer
We are looking for Big Data Engineers to join our Digital and Analytics Platform team, which is focused on enabling advanced analytics supporting product and business teams. As a data engineer, you will focus on making rich datasets/solutions available, understandable and extensible for several teams in the company. Success in this role comes from marrying a strong EDW engineering background, product understanding, and a good sense of the business to deliver scalable technical solutions that can enable self-service, advanced analytics at HomeAway.
What you’ll do:
- You will build and support scalable and durable data solutions that enable self-service advanced analytics at HomeAway using both traditional (SQL server) and modern data warehouse technologies (Hadoop, Spark, Cloud, NoSQL etc.) in an agile manner.
- You will build data pipelines for batch and stream processing using Hadoop and Spark.
- You will create models from HomeAway’s data, driving business teams with specific data and reporting needs on a global scale
- You are responsible to establish close partnerships with internal partners from engineering, product, and business (Sales, Customer Experience, Marketing etc.).
Who you are:
- What we look for:
- Flawless Execution, Engineering Excellence, Tech Savvy, Business & Product Acumen, Creative Problem Solver
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering or related experience required
- 3+ years of Enterprise Data Warehouse development experience including 2+ years in Big data space (i.e. building data pipelines in Hadoop), working with Petabytes of data
- Proven technical lead using technologies such as MS SQL server (or other relational DB),
- 3 years of experience working on Hadoop, HDFS Sqoop, and Hive.
- 2 years of experience using Oozie or similar workflow automation tool.
- 2 years of programming experience in either Scala, Java and/or Python.
- 2 years of experience with Spark and Spark SQL.
- 3 years of experience with of all aspects of data systems (both Big data and traditional) including database design, ETL, aggregation strategy, performance optimization
- Capable of working closely with business and product teams to ensure data solutions are aligned with business initiatives and are of high quality
- Experience in eCommerce or Internet industry preferred
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.