Square Root is built on understanding our customers' data more deeply than they do and our data engineers are instrumental in that. In this role, you’ll take heterogeneous, unstructured data, mine it for insights, and apply it to business problems in innovative ways. You’ll need to be sharp and possess a genuine interest in using data to solve business problems. We want someone that will grow with us and is comfortable with the idea of programming, algorithmic thinking, and automated testing.
Sound like your kind of challenge? Dig in to learn more!
- You’ll design, develop, and improve our ETL Engine to allow for rapid customer implementations, minimal customer investment, data quality and consistency, flexibility, durability, and availability.
- Working alongside cloud architects and data engineers, you’ll design scalable systems that work in concurrency and are fault-tolerant.
- As part of our implementation process, you’ll work directly with customers to integrate their business data. You’ll collaborate with different teams at Square Root to deliver enhancements, ensure operational stability, and define + refine product features.
- You’ll help expand the scalability of our system and maintain our customer relationships as we adapt to more clients and larger data volumes.
- Empower the team to drive action from data, by putting our enterprise data at the fingertips of all Radicals.
- You’ll formulate metrics for business users using math, forecast models, and statistical packages with Python to compute them.
- A Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, Information Sciences, or related technical field.
- 2+ years’ experience in a professional environment. You’ve practically applied engineering principles to the design and development of a data warehouse and scalable ETL pipeline.
- 2+ years’ experience in SQL and Python. You must be able to write joins and use aggregate functions in SQL as well as understand data structures in Python.
- 1+ years’ experience working with visualization technology such as Tableau or Looker.
- 1+ years’ experience in cloud computing including Amazon S3 and AWS EMR as well as familiarity with Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud Platform.
- 1+ years’ experience with Big Data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, Hive, and Kafka.
- 1+ years’ experience with Linux and Jenkins or similar technology.
- You’re familiar with a data lake pattern and understand the concept of a slowly changing dimension.
- You enjoy digging into a problem and investigating potential causes and solutions. You think creatively and use your reasoning skills to discover connections and possible strategies.
- You’re a thoughtful communicator able to articulate data insights to non-technical customers.
- You’re an active listener. Once you understand internal and external customer problems, you’re excited to propose and debate solutions which elevate the team or business.
- You’re calm in a crisis and have examples of navigating difficult situations and relationships.
- You keep up with the latest and greatest in technology and bring insights back to the team.
- You’ve demonstrated an eagerness to learn, ability to adapt and perfect your work, and willingness to seek out help and put it to good use.
We’re always looking for people to add to and evolve our culture + company. We want you to bring your unique experience and perspective, so don’t worry about checking all the boxes. If our values and mission resonate with you, please apply!
Our Radical Culture
Our culture is at the core of everything we do. We have fun, but we work hard. So, as we grow, we’re not only looking to hire the best and brightest, but we’re also looking for people that share our values. Here's the code we live by:
- Think big. Do bigger. We think big ideas are meant to be pursued. So, we think critically and have a bias for action and impact. We continually iterate to deliver smarter direction and better software.
- Be customer-inspired. We aim to over-deliver and delight by doing what’s best, not just what’s expected. That’s why we make it a priority to understand how our customers operate and the challenges that they face.
- Partner. We build strong relationships by having a partnership mindset – internally and externally. We go above and beyond to help our customers, and one another succeed.
- Thrive. We set our internal bar high so that we can bring enthusiasm, speed, and innovation. We revere personal drive, growth, and balance. We celebrate successes, and, sometimes, we just celebrate.
The Good Stuff
Founded in Austin, Texas, we’ve been bootstrapped and profitable since our start in 2006. Along the way, we’ve added a slew of benefits + perks inspired by our team of Radicals. Here’s a sample:
- Flexibility: no dress code, office hours, or vacation policy
- Competitive benefits and compensation
- A cozy campus of five 1920’s craftsman homes in downtown
- Radicals get $3,000 a year to learn anything (seriously!)
- Team lunches, stocked kitchen + bar, coffee-snob compliant coffee machines
Square Root is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.