Database Operations Manager
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
Data is central to our mission at HomeAway. Everything here is about data whether it is describing a vacation rental, managing a booking calendar, identifying traveler trends, or what feature converts better - data moves this company. With billions of dollars in annual bookings and over 2 million properties listed, HomeAway is the leader in the online vacation rental marketplace. The Database Operations team runs the data and technology that helps ensure success of the company. With multiple terabytes of data flowing between our different systems - you could consider Databases to be our “heart and lungs”.
What you’ll do:
- As a Database Operations Manager at HomeAway - you’ll lead a talented team of Database Administrators who are responsible for keeping our database environments running at the scale, speed, and reliability our customers and applications demand. By evaluating capacity, performance, throughput, and ensuring uptime - you’ll support delivery and performance of functionality that is on-time, on-quality, and on-target.
This role will see you working closely with project team members to ensure all databases highly performant and we are ready for a spike in demand. You will work with our leaders to provide accurate estimates for new database functionality and funnel those commitments back down to team members, while managing delivery in an agile environment. Are you ready to bring your experience in leading teams to an industry leader? Then we’d love to have you at HomeAway!
Who you are:
- Our ideal candidate, at a minimum, will be able to:
- Demonstrate experience leading a team of highly skilled
- Database Administrators focused on throughput and uptime
- Prove expertise with Microsoft SQL Server T-SQL and SQL Server internals
- Demonstrate experience with production databases larger than 5 Terabyte
- Familiar with agile processes
- Manage remote workers and support remote development teams
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline with 2+ years of team leadership, people management or other similar experience
- Experience with Oracle, MySQL or other RDBMS
- Experience with AWS or other public clouds
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.