CrowdStrike is the leader in cloud-delivered next-generation endpoint protection, threat intelligence, and pre- and post-incident response services. With the ability to collect and process over 100 billion events a day, CrowdStrike has revolutionized endpoint protection by being the first and only company to unify next-generation antivirus (AV), endpoint detection and response (EDR), and a 24/7 managed hunting service — all delivered via a single lightweight agent. We are one of the World's Most 50 Innovative Companies according to MIT, and one of Forbes Most Promising Companies. Our growth and innovation are driven by incredible employees who deliver unmatched customer success.
We have received a number of exciting awards including:
- October 2018: 100 Best Medium Workplaces Second Year in a Row by Fortune magazine.
- June 2018: Closed over $200 million, led by General Atlantic, Accel and IVP, with participation from March Capital and CapitalG (Google), achieving a valuation of more than $3 billion.
- April 2018: CrowdStrike Wins SC Award for Best Security Company Second Year in a Row.
About the Role
We're looking for a talented colleague to join a new ontology and data architecture team. This new team will be responsible for mapping our data schema and event flows, creating guidance for their use and extension, and working to build the foundations for a platform that can support future initiatives and growth. Our team will actively collaborate with the compiler team, partner organizations and other stakeholders on major initiatives within Engineering and R&D.
Millions of Falcon sensors send hundreds of billions of events to CrowdStrike’s Threat Graph every day. These events drive Falcon’s behavior, as well as providing visibility into adversary activity for our Overwatch and threat hunting teams. To help unlock the potential of this data, we’re hiring a Ontologist/Data Architect to help us define data models, develop safe and scalable processes, and make using Threat Graph a smoother experience.
This is a new position on a new team in a fast-moving company. You’ll have the opportunity to solve interesting problems and work with cutting edge technology. You’ll also find yourself in ambiguous and complicated situations that may require you to learn or invent new tools and techniques. Successful applicants could come from a wide variety of backgrounds.
Our team is highly distributed with most people working remotely on flexible hours, though coordination with other team members is expected. Occasional travel is required. The ontology and compiler teams’ core office is in Minneapolis MN, and CrowdStrike also has engineering offices in Kirkland WA, Sunnyvale CA, Irvine CA, and Arlington VA, for those who prefer office life.
CrowdStrike is a computer security company, but we do not expect candidates for this role to have prior security industry experience. We will mentor/train in aspects of the security world as required. We do expect a strong interest in CrowdStrike's mission and a willingness to learn about the industry, our techniques, and our mission.
- Work with teams across CrowdStrike to map data flows, build semantic models.
- Manage the formal schema definitions for Threat Graph and event data flows.
- Develop and communicate principles for working with CrowdStrike’s ontology and graph schema.
- Help define the interfaces and processes used by partners to integrate with our systems.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for business development and engineering groups.
What You'll Need
- Experience with modern tools and techniques in data management
- Familiarity with modern software engineering practices (source control, agile development, etc.)
- Experience bringing order and structure to large amounts of data
- A history of success working on cross-team and interdisciplinary projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Degree in Library and Information Science, Computer Science, Philosophy, or similar field, or equivalent experience
- Ability to self-direct work and collaborate with remote colleague
- Experience with or interest in event-driven architectures, graph databases, and other modern cloud computing techniques
- Experience defining APIs and data models for use by partner organizations
- Relevant graduate work
- Familiarity with Go, Python or Haskell
- Interest or experience with data privacy and security issues
- Interest or experience with formal specification languages like TLA+ or Alloy
Benefits of Working at CrowdStrike:
- Market leader in compensation + stock options
- Competitive vacation policy
- Comprehensive health benefits + 401k plan (US only)
- Paid paternity and maternity leave, including adoption
- Flexible work hours and remote friendly environment
- Wellness programs
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats
- Peer recognition
- Inclusive culture focused on people, customers and innovation
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, community service events
CrowdStrike believes that diversity and inclusion among our organization is essential to our success as a global company, and we seek to attract, retain and empower the industry’s best and brightest from a diverse talent pool.
CrowdStrike is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.