BlackLocus is building cloud-based analytic tools to optimize and automate retail merchandising decisions such as pricing, assortment, space and fulfillment. By applying machine learning and revenue management techniques, the BlackLocus platform enables intelligent retail software to identify opportunities for competitive advantage. The company was a venture-funded startup, founded by Carnegie Mellon alumni and entrepreneurs with a passion for creative deployment of new technology. Acquired by The Home Depot in December of 2012, we operate with autonomy as a product lab from an office located in downtown Austin, TX.
A Principal Data Scientist is capable of performing new innovative research to solve difficult business problems. Principal Data Scientists are responsible for thought leadership of analytics and software design in taking the solution from concept to final prototype. Responsible for resources from the data science team and defines tasks within the business problem to parallelize and deliver a solution in the shortest amount of time. Principal Data Scientists are expected to not only contribute to projects as hands on expert level resource, but also provide thought leadership to data scientists and the company as a whole.
- PhD Degree with 5+ yrs of experience or Masters with 8+ years of experience in the domain of data science
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
- Work experience with SQL, Teradata, Google Big Query and/or other comparable database systems.
- Expert knowledge of R, Python or other statistical computing programming languages.
- Recent publication in peer reviewed journal relevant to data science
- Experience managing groups of PhD level data scientists
- Work with merchants and other business experts to define an distill requirements for analytic solutions
- Define best in class analytic methodology and facilitate adoption of that methodology by the data science team
- Design analytic solutions leveraging advanced statistical modeling and optimization that are best suited to solve the business problems
- Lead internal data scientists to deliver advanced analytics solutions
- Provide thought leadership and establish a technical strategy and roadmap for advanced analytics
- Communicate timely and effectively both verbal and written to the peers, team, managers, and Home Depot
- Stay current with advancements in optimization, statistical modeling, programming techniques and advocates them where appropriate
- 35%-Designs and develops solutions that leverage statistical analytics and optimization to derive business insights
- 35%-Partner with internal cross-functional teams and lead data scientists to develop advanced solutions
- 20%-Seeks further knowledge on key developments within data science, technical skill sets, and additional data sources within Home Depot
- 10%-Define clear communication mechanisms to the head of data science to ensure projects are on time and on budget
- Excellent work-life balance
- Comprehensive benefit package
- Competitive base and bonus package
- Generous PTO policy
- 401(k) eligible for matching company contribution after one year
- Restricted stock grants and Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Stocked kitchen with healthy snacks, tons of drinks, and an espresso maker
- Lots of team events including weekly catered lunches, happy hours, and other fun outings
- Located in the heart of downtown Austin with garage parking provided
- The Home Depot is an Equal Opportunity Employer
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: BlackLocus and The Home Depot are Equal Opportunity/M/F/Vet/Disabled Employers. Available positions may vary by location. Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. ©2005-2018 Home Depot Product Authority, LLC. All rights reserved. Know your rights. Click here to view Federal labor law posters.