Senior Data Engineer – Austin, TX
Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
We are hiring for a Senior Data Engineer to utilize their industry knowledge, technical skills and passion for data to work closely with executive stakeholders and our financial engineering team developing solutions that support and optimize business operations. We’re solving a variety of Big Data challenges and modernizing legacy data loaders as well as exploring the benefits and tradeoffs of other cutting edge tools. In this role, you will be responsible for a variety of duties including; understanding our data, application design and development, SQL query optimization and ensuring accuracy and consistency of data.
- Analytical mindset with the ability to structure and process qualitative data and draw insightful conclusions.
- Problem solver able to take a complex business request and transform it into a clean, simple data solution.
- Quick learner open to new ideas and technologies, and willing to offer creative solutions.
- Ownership and prideful in work and brings new ways and ideas to the table.
- Develop logical data models and processes to transform, cleanse, and normalize raw data into high-quality datasets aligned with our analytical requirements.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive controls to ensure data quality and completeness.
- Manage data movement through our infrastructure. Streamline existing data workflows to create a flexible, reliable, and faster process.
- Develop real-time data transformations and validations.
- Identify and onboard new data sources. Collaborate with data vendors and internal stakeholders to define requirements and build interfaces. Troubleshoot and resolve issues with data feeds.
- Work with our team of researchers to identify and analyze investment opportunities in real estate and fixed income securities markets.
- 6+ years of experience in data analysis and/or management in an enterprise environment within finance, operations or analytics.
- Passion for data organization, quality, and reliability.
- MS SQL Server, Oracle, Postgres, Hive, Presto, etc. preferred. Experience developing complex efficient queries, designing and building logical data models, and working with large datasets on a relational database system
- Experience with at least one language (e.g. Python, C#, Scala, Java).
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Must be an intellectually curious self-starter and motivated to continually learn.
- Proactive, hardworking team player with excellent communication skills
- Strong knowledge of statistics, including hands-on experience with SAS, R, Matlab, Machine Learning, AI.
- Experience working with large datasets (1B+ Records)
- Knowledge of Big Data or Cloud technologies
- Experience with version control (e.g. TFS, SVN or Git) and build tools.
- Tableau/BI Tools
What we offer:
Amherst is a privately held corporation located in West Austin with beautiful views of Lake Austin and the loop 360 bridge in a modern workspace with open floor plans.
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO, 8 paid holidays
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- Relaxed casual environment
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.