Senior Data Scientist
We are looking for excellent Data Scientists to join our growing 20+ strong team. This position focuses on the measurement and optimization of our search relevance and ranking algorithms, so it is a good fit for those with backgrounds in information retrieval, recommender systems, economics and learning to rank. This role will work closely with our ranking development team to improve conversion originating from traveler searches. The statistical learning algorithms you develop will impact tens of millions of traveler searches a year.
What you’ll do:
· Challenges to work on:
· Modifying ranking algorithms to support a healthy marketplace with dynamic commissions.
· Create models to understand traveler preferences with respect to price, geography, traveler preferences, images, and amenities
· Spatial modeling of supply value
· Work on larger programs/initiatives encompassing several projects that have a company-wide impact
· Apply best-in-class machine learning techniques to solve the business problem at hand
· Produce novel insights with machine learning to inform company strategy
· Assist others with data discovery and data preparation phase
· Help build the core feedback loops and incentive structures in our marketplace.
· Attend conferences and read papers to stay on top of advancements in the field
Who you are:
· 2+ years of experience in Data Science and analytics fields
· Experience with programming languages such as R, Python, or Scala
· Experience in processing and analyzing large scale data volumes, semi-structured and unstructured data and near real-time throughput
· Experience applying the right ML model to solve business problems
· Ability and passion to learn new techniques to stay on the cutting edge.
· Experience working in the AWS and Hadoop ecosystems
· Strong database knowledge and expertise in SQL
· Good storytelling and presentation skills i.e be able to present business side of the story that data presents to c-team and business leaders
· Masters or Ph.D in Statistics, Math, Computer Science, Economics or other quantitative field
Benefits & Perks:
· Competitive health and insurance benefits.
· Competitive salary.
· Annual target bonus or commission.
· Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
· Paid vacation and sick time.
· Employee Stock Purchase Program.
· Free snacks and beverages.
· Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
· Free listing on HomeAway.com.
· Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
· Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
· Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.