Sr. Data Engineer
You're looking for a team where you can drive decisions, be challenged and build a powerful and novel product. You want to collaborate with smart, creative, and energetic people. You’re comfortable with being uncomfortable. You look for projects where you can learn new technologies and techniques. You’re comfortable designing, developing, testing, and launching software. You’re creative. And if this sounds like you, you sound like someone we want on our team.
New Knowledge is on a mission to defend public discourse. We build products that repair online communities, identify manipulation, and help them communicate more authentically. In a world where social media is being manipulated on a massive scale, this is no small task. We care about protecting communities, brands, and companies from being targeted by the spreading of disinformation. The kind of people who work with us have to be passionate about that challenge and mission.
While we take our mission very seriously, we are also a team of fun-loving, laid-back, self described geeks who love tacos and topo chico.
We are looking for senior engineers with previous experience working as a team lead or desire to grow into that role. The best candidates will have an interest in the state of the art stream and batch processing architecture with awareness of ecosystem of tools available to solve data engineering problem. You will be empowered to make big design decisions and own major pieces of the data pipeline.
What you’ll work on:
- Design, develop and maintain New Knowledge’s data pipeline
- Support and monitor pipeline performance in production
- Take ownership of components of the data pipeline
- Work with product managers understand upcoming work and design a system capable of meeting long term product vision
- Create and maintain documentation capable of describing how the pipeline work to non-technical audience
- Work as part of a team to integrate new services into New Knowledge’s data pipeline using tools like Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, PostgreSQL and more.
These are not hard requirements or an exhaustive list. Consider this an outline to give you a better understanding of what you’ll be doing. We expect a senior engineer to meet at least half of these requirements and be comfortable and excited to learn the rest.
- 3+ year(s) developing software as part of a team, preferably working on some aspect of a data pipeline.
- Experience or familiarity with Kafka or similar distributed systems (knowledge of schema registry/data types and serialization options and partition strategies a plus)
- Experience or familiarity with popular stream processing framework such as Spark Streaming, Kafka Streams, Flink or similar
- Experience supporting large scale batch analytics in Hadoop ecosystem (loading and retrieving data)
- Experience working with or building schedulers, workflow automation/coordination tools
- Experience implementing tests and sanity checks on large complex data pipelines
- Experience helping other developers write performant SQL queries.
Other notable skills:
- Ability to monitor current solution to understand its limits and stay ahead of business needs
- Comfortable representing data engineering function in front of Senior leaders and product management during prioritization and design discussions
- Knowledge of how to evaluate tools and ability to document pro/cons of infrastructure decisions
- Desire to mentor junior developers
Who you are:
- 3+ years professional software development
- You have experience working with data pipelines. Experience processing social media, text and image data is particularly relevant.
- Highly motivated to research, prototype and implement state of the art data pipeline
- Comfortable with knowing what you do not know and asking for help or finding your own answers when required
- Previously held leadership positions technical or otherwise
Why we love working here:
- Competitive salary, 401(k) matching, and Fortune 500 level healthcare
- We are a business that trusts and embraces technology and harnesses it for good. We embrace diverse ideas, autonomy and collaboration
- Professional development opportunities–– we host lunch and learns, hold weekly 1-1’s, and have a policy where you can expense professional development books
- A diverse leadership team that wants to uphold ethical practices in our software development process
- A strong commitment to creating a diverse environment
- Free parking in our building in downtown Austin
- Free access to a gym in our office building
- A $2,000 annual credit that you can spend on the technology and work gear of your choice
- Parental leave (plan with your manager) and unlimited vacation (and no, that is not code for you never take a vacation, we encourage and value time off)
- Weekly catered lunches and a stocked kitchen full of fruit, energy bars, popcorn, coconut water, and other healthy snacks