Senior Technical Writer
Rapid7 products protect Fortune 500 companies from cyber crimes in lots of clever ways. The UX Writing team is responsible for creating content that helps our customers use our products, troubleshoot their issues, and self-serve their educational needs. We truly care about developing the best ways to get our users the content they need when and where they need it.
We’re looking for someone to join our UX team in Austin to work primarily on our penetration testing and offensive security solutions. If you consider queso a beverage, enjoy going to AHA!, think OSSM is awesome, and can produce concisely and elegantly written content, you might just be our person. Our perfect teammate also thrives in a fast-paced environment, believes that learning is a critical aspect of the user experience, and is a self-starter.
Oh, did we already mention writing? You must love writing.
In this role, you’ll:
- Work with closely with our User Experience, Product Management, and Development teams to create content that will help our users really understand how to solve their real world security problems.
- Work closely with our Research, Support and Customer Success teams to understand how our customers actually use and deploy our products in the real world.
- Help us build content that expands product knowledge for our internal and external stakeholders.
- Support the rest of the documentation team on other projects as needed.
- Communicate project statuses and blockers to the team.
- Attend regular status meetings with Product Management and User Experience to sync on status and identify upcoming documentation needs.
- Work with designers to identify contextual help needs and creating content for in-product guides and tool tips.
- Write a lot of technical content.
To thrive in this role, you should have:
- An intense passion for technology and the ability to write about it.
- Very strong technical knowledge; cybersecurity is a major plus.
- Experience with GitHub, JIRA, Readme.io, Pendo, and Jenkins.
- Experience creating documentation for internal and external audiences.
- Experience working directly with a software development team.
- The ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and concisely.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- The ability to be a team player.
- The right mix of technical knowledge, writing skills, and analytical skills to deliver awesome documentation.
- The desire and ability to delve into the technical details and understand what needs to be documented and how.
- The tenacity, humor, and people skills to work with and obtain information from a wide variety of team members.
And finally, it’d also be extra nice if you have the following education and experience:
- BA/BS degree in Technical Writing, Journalism, Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years of experience in writing technical content or documentation