Digital Platform Infrastructure Engineer
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands.
HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online.
As for engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas. Technologies we work with include Kafka, KStream, Spark,Samza, Core Java, Flink, Hadoop, Docker, AWS (EC2, S3, Lambda, multi data center architecture).
What You’ll Do:
If you’re the right person for the job you will be joining the growing Cloud Engineering team focusing on our Data Infrastructure. As a Sr Digital Infrastructure Engineer you will continue to drive HomeAway's culture of engineering excellence. The Cloud Engineering – Digital Infrastructure team manages the infrastructure, services, and data pipelines that empower the organization to have the right information at the right time. The team consistently delivers, and has continually enjoyed a high customer satisfaction score as measured by HomeAway's engineers.
What You’ll Get:
As a member of the Digital Platform Engineering team you will be driving HomeAway's engineering culture, by building, evangelizing and supporting our multi-petabyte Data Platform ingesting trillions of events a year. Our ever-growing footprint will give you the opportunity to work at scale while being creative in an agile team. You’ll be joining a team that grows together, and goes out of their way to help each other succeed. You’ll also get to work with stakeholders across the globe gaining international experience in a fast-paced C2C Travel industry while working in an incredible office space!
- Design, develop, and maintain the software and systems that drive the Stream Platform, Big Data Platform
- Ensure the platform goes through Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Deployment (CD) with DevOps automation
- Support and Maintain the big data platform by diagnosing, predicting and correcting scaling problems
- Develop governance model and best practices for the Stream Platform and Big Data Platform
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of software or data engineering experience in a large enterprise or web-scale environment.
- Experience with deploying and maintaining Cloud based infrastructure services
- Experience in systems management/automation tools such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible
- Experience with CI/CD pipeline, DevOps automation
- Support experience with 24x7 environment on high performance data infrastructure
- Hands on experience with Kafka, KStream or other related stream processing frameworks such as Samza, Flink is a plus
- Strong understanding of Distributed Computing and experience working on Big Data Processing Frameworks and Tools – MapReduce, YARN, Spark is a plus
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Communicate clearly to technical and business audiences
- Be well organized with a healthy sense of urgency, and able to set, communicate, and meet aggressive deadlines and milestones
- Self-motivate, learn quickly and deliver results with minimal supervision
- Experience in Docker, Cloud Deployments (AWS), Terraform is a plus
- Experience integrating solutions in a multi-region environment is a plus
- Contributor to open source software is a plus
- Have published or contributed to technical blogs is a plus
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Parental Leave (up to 20 weeks based on eligibility)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages, including breakfast on Fridays
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.