About H-E-B H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion.Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
This is an exciting time to join the digital engineering team at H-E-B. As our customer and partner experiences continue to grow in popularity and adoption in areas like Curbside and Delivery, you will have the opportunity to define the digital experience for millions of customers and hundreds of thousands of partners.
H-E-B Digital will be co-located in San Antonio and Austin, which will share space with Favor—recently acquired by H-E-B, and now ranked no. 138 on the Inc. 5000 list (in addition, ranked 5th in Texas and 1st in Austin!). Our top leaders have deep consumer tech experience; Jag Bath (CEO and President of Favor) leads H-E-B Digital, and Mike Georgoff (recent Chief Product Officer at Main Street Hub), leads digital product strategy and development. We are hiring across the stack: front-end web, front-end mobile, full-stack, and backend engineering. Our engineers are utilizing the best technologies available to deliver modern and engaging experiences with the reliability, performance, and scale to service that only the best technical products can support.
What is the opportunity?
You’re someone who enjoys taking on new challenges, working in a rapidly changing environment, learning new skills, and applying it all to solve large and impactful business problems. As Manager of Digital Engineering, your daily activities will involve oversight, mentoring, and delivering key pieces of functionality while collaborating with technology leadership to plan the technical roadmap for H-E-B.
- We hire talented people and give them the autonomy to be creative in how they impact the business
- We embrace Diversity and Inclusion as core values and have a thriving program to support it throughout the company
- We are a partner-driven company with a Bold Promise - Because People Matter
- We are a truly original Texas-based company that has created the Spirit of Giving to help our communities in Texas every day
Why is it awesome? You will…
- You will recruit, coach and grow high performing engineers
- You will lead project management for your team, and take ownership of your team's delivery in close collaboration with product management, business analysts, designers, and other engineering teams
- You will drive iterative and on-time delivery of software
- You'll guide team members to make sound technical decisions
- You will guide your engineers to deliver technology solutions to improve user experience and drive business value
- You will champion engineering best practices such as code reviews and test automation
- You'll identify recurring issues and opportunities to improve the engineering process, employees’ success, and business success
What is your background?
- Experience leading technical teams to deliver product features and platform improvements
- Software development experience in front-end web or mobile, backend, or full-stack platforms and applications
- Experience using agile methodologies to plan and deliver increments of functionality
- Minimum of 2+ years of engineering management experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related technical discipline
Do you have what it takes to succeed?
- Enthusiasm for H-E-B values and the H-E-B Digital mission
- You're passionate about building and mentoring high performing engineering teams
- You love the idea of using technology and data to power unique user experiences
- You focus on producing results and have a creative mindset to push beyond boundaries
- You have keen instincts for analytical analysis, technical discernment, and risk assessment
What are the perks?
- A robust Benefits plan with coverage starting Day One
- An 80/20 PPO medical plan with a $30 copay for in-network primary care
- Dental plans, Vision plan, voluntary insurance plans, and flexible spending accounts (FSA) available
- The Partner Care Team, for any time you have healthcare or coverage questions
- Partner Guidance allows free counselor visits, up to 5 times per year for each issue
- Telehealth offers 24/7 access to board-certified doctors over the phone
- Funeral leave, Jury Duty, and Military pay (subject to applicable law)
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability coverage after 90 days
- Maternal / Paternal Leave for new parents, adoptions included
- Eligibility for 401(k) participation after 6 months
- Eligibility for quarterly bonuses based on company performance
- 10% off H-E-B brand products in-store and online after 90 days
- Access to other savings (gyms, phone, hotels, and more) through online discount program after 90 days