Lead Android Engineer, Traveler Apps
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
HomeAway Mobile offers a suite of traveler and partner apps. The traveler apps help travelers plan, book and enjoy their dream vacation while the partner apps enable partners to seamlessly handle their vacation rental business. With a mobile team co-located in Austin, Texas, we’re looking for an empathetic, self-aware, hard-working, experienced and continually learning Senior Android software engineer. HomeAway mobile offers a suite of traveler and partner apps. The traveler app specializes in helping travelers plan, book, and enjoy their dream vacation -- destination searches, property and amenity filtering, trip booking, traveler/vacation rental manager engagement across the life cycle of the stay and more are features offered to our travelers. In your new role, you will play a vital role in furthering our traveler-facing Android application.
What you’ll do:
- What you will be responsible for:
- As a lead engineer of the Android Traveler app team you’ll be the driving force behind ensuring our Android Traveler app is a world-class offering on Google Play. You will ensure that the app performs well, that each code change by all team members leaves the codebase maintainable, that the visual design is meticulously up to spec, that the app size is efficient, and that the platform specific offerings of Android are utilized for a truly native experience. You will be our Android technical expert and team mentor.
- You’ll be involved in product feature development, but also a valuable contributor to our growing Android platform. This underlying platform powers both our Traveler and Partner apps -- shared UI components, a networking layer, and more allows us to achieve maximum velocity, democratize the development of our Android apps, and move quickly into exciting new technology opportunities such as Instant Apps!
- In addition to your technical contributions, you will help define and prioritize new features. You will work to gain a solid understanding of our Travelers’ needs, and offer constructive critiques of planned features that might not necessarily meet those needs. You’ll help the team work to complete each release in a timely manner, balancing wisely competing concerns to deliver a great product. In this capacity you will exhibit a respectful and empathetic tone to everyone, including less experienced engineers on the team, with a genuine concern for helping them grow as Android engineers. You’ll be willing to learn from everyone, communicate well and strive to be an effective team member.
Who you are:
- You will love this role if you’re looking for an environment…:
- That challenges you to think deeply about software architectural choices
- That encourages you to invest time into your craft and self-improvement, including time for reading books and attending conferences
- Where the best tool for the job is the right tool for the job, and you’ll have the opportunity to influence these decisions
- Where design isn’t an afterthought
- Where smart risk-taking is encouraged
- Where you’ll have the support to make mistakes
- Where processes exist only to help the team progress
- Where you have a tangible opportunity to impact peoples’ lives in a positive way
- Where diversity is valued, where empathy is offered, and where an individual’s needs are treated with utmost respect
List of technologies we like:
- Espresso, RxJava, AutoValue, Retrofit, Dagger, Kotlin, Firebase, Sqlbrite, OkHttp, and/or GraphQL are all welcomed and loved
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.