Senior Golang Engineer
Who We Are
First thing you need to know; Bestow is not your typical insurance company. We’ve completely reimagined industry assumptions, and harnessed technology and big data to create life insurance products that aren’t just delightful to use but deliver on our mission: to make financial products accessible to more people than ever before.
Check us out at hellobestow.com
Who We’re Looking For
“Innovative” and “disruptive” can be overused words. But at Bestow, it isn’t jargon, it’s an everyday rally cry. We are rewriting the rules of the 400-year-old, $7 trillion life insurance industry, serving communities who have been underserved in the past, and we believe the future is a bright one.
So, if you’re excited by the idea of building something from scratch, working at a mission-driven company and fundamentally shaking up an age-old industry, please read on.
As a Senior Golang Engineer you will lead development on new features and technical improvements for our products. You should be able to define technical design and implement work independently. You should have prior experience architecting systems.
Bestow software engineers are great teammates. You are willing to collaborate with other software engineers, product managers and designers. You also have exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
Do you want to build products to reinvent a centuries old industry? If so, we'd love to hear from you.
Challenges on which you can expect to work:
Building Product Features
We're a startup with a long product roadmap. You'll be working with a team to make that roadmap a reality.
Develop new product features using Python 3, Go, and PostgreSQL;
Resolve issues with previously delivered features;
Write unit and integration tests for code you create;
Peer review code developed by others on your team;
Ensure software is secure, maintainable and extensible;
Collaborate with designers, product managers and other engineers.
Ensuring a Robust Software Platform
Great software is more than product features. It simultaneously considers non-functional concerns like security, maintainability and extensibility. You are responsible for ensuring:
The security of our applications including participation in external penetration tests, threat modeling and secure code review;
Use modern extensibility methodologies such as feature toggles;
Automation of routine developer workflows such as environment setup.
Fostering Best Practices
We might be small but we've got big ambitions. Folks joining the team will be defining our software engineering culture. You are someone that strives to build a premier engineering organization.
Measure test coverage and gradually improve the metrics;
Leave code in a better place than it was when you started;
Encourage automation and continuous improvement.
A Little About You:
- 4+ years of back end software development experience
- Professional experience with Python 3; Experience with Flask a plus
- Professional experience with a relational database like PostgreSQL
- Experience with strongly typed languages (Golang, Kotlin, Rust, etc)
- Experience using Docker for local software development
- Experience designing APIs (Protocol Buffers, RAML, Swagger, OpenAPI, etc)
- Experience with distributed systems and microservices
- A champion for Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD)
- Clear, concise written and verbal communication
- A desire and willingness to learn
- Initiative and motivation to make things happen
What We Can Offer To You:
- Competitive salary
- Generous PTO
- Flexible schedule and work/life balance
- 100% company-paid health, dental, and vision insurance
- Choose your own computer setup (Mac or PC)
- Office snacks and weekly team lunches
- Team building events and activities
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bestow does not currently sponsor applicants for work visas.
Read Full Job Description