Senior Manager, Software Engineering
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
The Digital Platform team consumes and enriches real-time information and operates a programmatic data platform that interacts with almost every part of the HomeAway business. The team is continuously building innovative data products enabling employees to extract unique insights and integrate information into sales, marketing and production applications to influence traveler demand, supply acquisition, and product conversion. From an engineering perspective, the Digital Platform department spans a full-stack of responsibilities in front-end web development, service endpoints, datastores, search indexes, stream processing, and big data engineering.
As the leader of this team, you'll be at the forefront of developing a modern web application from ground-up and using the power of cutting-edge data technologies to chase some of our most interesting challenges and opportunities.
What you’ll do:
- Challenges you can work on:
- Develop fast, scalable, highly available, and reliable dashboards that serve a plethora of content pulling from multiple data sources.
- Create best-in-class user experiences and insights by leveraging the data services of our Digital Platform.
- Dockerize our apps and services for cloud deployment, CICD.
- Develop features that will drive our business through real time feedback loops.
- Hire, mentor, and provide technical leadership for a newly formed full-stack engineering team
- Provide technical leadership over UI projects while managing and coaching other developers in constructing a crafted user experience.
- Hands-on code contribution and participation in architectural decision-making.
- You will own new UI features from design to production release.
- Dedicated to delivering tested and optimized code for a highly crafted and responsive user experience.
- Work closely with data engineering and product management in planning and coordination of development activities and product delivery.
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions.
- Grow a performance production environment in a way that makes the system increasingly reliable.
- Conduct peer code reviews and act as a resource for junior developers
Technologies we use:
- Node.js, React, Redux, Less, hapi.js, Java8, Scala, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, MongoDB, Spark, S3, AWS, Docker, Dropwizard, Kafka, Quoble, Databricks, Datadog, NewRelic, Splunk
Who you are:
- Experience working on optimization techniques for web applications and API’s
- Excellent communication skills with ability to work well cross functionally across multiple departments.
- You are an analytical problem solver that is passionate about delivering a high quality user experience.
- Responsive design, cross browser development and compatibility experience.
- Familiarity with geospatial software is a plus (Mapbox, Mapboxgl, Leaflet, PostGIS, D3 geo)
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.