Senior Manager, UI Engineering
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands. HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online.
About the Team
When a Homeowner wonders if they could ever turn their property into a Vacation Rental, how much of their decision making process is driven by a stand-out User Experience? Is it 70% of why they engage?.. 80%?.. 90%? Correct. It's simply everything.
Our New Partner Experience and Acquisition teams (we call our Homeowners Partners) are the lifeblood of HomeAway’s supply of new HomeAway Vacation Rental listings. They create awesome self service user workflows that handle everything from new account creation all the way through to when the Partner's front door is unlocked by their very first Traveler. A Signature UI and User Experience are required to ensure this process is as smooth as butter.
New Partner teams interact with many other teams, services and APIs. From a software engineering perspective, this spans front-end web development, service endpoints, datastores, search indexes, stream processing, and big data jobs. These teams continually iterate on the acquisition experience by leveraging A/B testing to build a world-class experience. They also build dashboards for First To Know and Quick To Fix in order to maintain 5 9s uptime and responsiveness.
Tech our teams use: Vanilla .JS, React, Redux, React Native, Node.js, Java8, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Mongo DB, Spark, S3, AWS, Docker, Dropwizard, Kafka, Scala, New Relic, Data Dog, Looker.
As the Senior Engineering Manager, you'll directly manage execution of the development process as well as provide needed career coaching. You’ll be at the forefront of the Partner Experience, building a product that is seen and used by everyone that wants to list a property with HomeAway. The team prides themselves on having high energy and being very collaborative, while learning with an Agile mindset.
Challenges you will work on
- Managing from the front. 40% of this role will be hands-on UI development. We are looking for someone who enjoys “Walking the walk” with their engineers.
- Use real-time data to understand customers' needs before they do
- Present to our leadership teams on solutions and new ideas
- Work with technology leadership, architects, and engineering partners to deliver next generation software platforms
- Make bold decisions with your team to influence a new industry
- Research groundbreaking technologies to help accelerate new solutions for engineering teams
- Commit to vigilantly build the best team possible
- Take full ownership of success and failures
- Coach your team to be highly effective in an agile environment
- Showcase your work on our tech blog and internal & external conferences
Required Skills and Experience
- 2-3+ years of managing a team of 5 or more engineers
- Hands-on abilities with vanilla .JS and modern frameworks (React/Redux preferred, Angular, etc.)
- A good ability to interact with Java on the back-end
- Excellent communication skills with ability to work well across multiple departments
- A data driven scientific problem solver that is passionate about building highly scalable and resilient software.
- Agile software process development experience with focus on visible and continuous improvement.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electric, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress code
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.