Senior Software Engineer
Come work with us!
Smarter Sorting is a VC funded, Austin-based startup that uses data-driven technology to turn Household Hazardous Waste into a reusable product. We’re on a mission to use machine learning to build the world's first smart chemical database (and save the world)! By helping North America's largest retailers and biggest cities identify items in their regulated waste stream, our tech literally turns waste into product, saving our customers money and increasing reuse.
The Smarter Sorting team is made up of top-notch talent who are driven circular economy practitioners. We're determined to build world-class tech that transforms the chemical waste management industry, speeding our advancement towards a zero waste future.
Smarter Sorting is looking for a Senior Software Engineer who has a deep understanding of Ruby and can take ownership of our client data portal and supplier data portal. Taking the lead on these portals will help ensure our customers have a seamless and positive interaction with the software side of our products. This person needs to understand the business value that these portals provide to our customers as well as understand the key place that they hold in the vision of Smarter Sorting. Success in this role will involve integrating the existing portals into a single application, figuring out how to scale the application with new customer acquisitions, and then growing the team as Smarter Sorting grows. They will hit important back-end development milestones for our software products and offer day-to-day support within our Data Engineering team.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Design and develop our client and supplier portals
- Determine optimal data schemas
- Develop clean, readable and efficient interfaces in Ruby
- Collaborate with Product Management and UX
- Coordinate with our data acquisition teams to ensure seamless flow between components in our solution
- Act as escalation point for support issues
- Take ownership and accountability beyond individual deliverables
Your Experience + Skills:
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related degree
- 5+ years of overall software development experience including:
- 5+ years working on web-based SaaS applications
- 2+ years Ruby
- 2+ years SQL
- Angular experience is a plus
- Startup experience is a plus
- MongoDB experience is a plus
Your 1st month:
- Learn everything there is to know about our software products
- Ramp up on our industry
- Fully understand our software development methodologies
- Participate in an engineering sprint
Your first 3 months:
- Actively contribute to the architectural decisions for our tool
- Lead our coordination with overseas resources
- Successfully integrate with the team
- Launch version 3.0 of our portal product
Your first 6 months:
- Mentor junior members of the team
- Actively contribute ideas to our product roadmap
- Launch version 4.0 of our portal product
If this sounds like you, apply now!
Read Full Job Description