Staff iOS Engineer
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands. HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online.
About our iOS Teams:
With a mobile team co-located in Austin, Texas, we're seeking an empathetic, hard-working, experienced and continually learning iOS software engineer. HomeAway mobile offers a suite of traveler and partner apps. The traveler apps help travelers plan, book and enjoy their dream vacation while the partner apps enable partners to seamlessly lead their vacation rental business. You will play a vital role in furthering our partner-facing iOS app.
You will love this role if you're looking for an environment:
- That challenges you to think deeply about software architectural choices
- That encourages you to invest time into your craft and self-improvement, including time for reading books and attending conferences
- Where the best solution for the job is the right tool for the job, and you'll have the opportunity to influence these decisions
- Where UX design isn't an afterthought
- Where smart risk-taking is encouraged
- Where processes exist only to help the team progress
- Where you have a tangible opportunity to impact people's lives in a positive way
- Where diversity is valued, where empathy is offered, and where an individual's needs are treated with utmost respect
Challenges and Opportunities include:
- Messaging features to enable prompt communication with travelers and facilitate seamless and accurate booking
- Reservation coordination features that allow our owners to view and manage the availability of their properties, as well as their guest's bookings
- Property management features that allow partners to list and manage their property—from content to pricing—and view analytics for their vacation-rental business relative to the market standard
- Marketplace Feed features that ensure partners are always up to date with the most relevant, contextual information for their properties and travelers.
- As an engineer of the iOS partner app team you'll play a meaningful role in ensuring our iOS partner app is a world-class offering. You will ensure that the app performs well, that each code change leaves the codebase maintainable, that the visual design is meticulously up to spec and ensure that the platform specific offerings of iOS are demonstrated for a truly native experience.
- Successful contributors on the iOS Partner team exhibit more than just extraordinary technical prowess; they will possess uncanny product intuition, the ability to communicate effectively and they strive to be respectful and empathetic to everyone.
Required Skills and Experience:
- 5 - 8 years experience developing iOS apps
- Experience shipping iOS apps to hundreds of thousands of customers
- Ability to collaborate and drive for results cross-team in a complex working environment
Technologies we use: Xcode, Swift (and Objective-C), git and GitHub, Zeplin, Jenkins, TestFlight, Firebase, Fabric, EarlGrey, Xcode Tests and UI Tests
Other items of note:
- 4.5 star average rating (out of ~35,500 submissions)
- High percentage of daily active users
- We are currently experimenting with Node.js, GraphQL, and React Native
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electric, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress code
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.