Technical Support Engineer
The Technical Support Engineer acts as the primary technical advocate and facilitator of technical issues between an institution and our core internal engineering, product, and service teams. This position is responsible for resolving Tier 2 technical support issues through troubleshooting techniques, escalation management, and problem-solving complex coding challenges. In addition, this role is responsible for building and debugging custom ETL logic in our data pipeline to match our partner’s business logic and surface data in a usable form in their apps. The Technical Support Engineer ensures all matters reach full-circle resolution by thoroughly tracking the lifecycle of an issue/task while maintaining strong lines of open communication with a partner.
In this role you will gather technical requirements that outline specific steps to resolve issues related to data, product usability, and systems configuration. You will also build support team documentation.
Our Technical Support Engineer is in frequent contact with our partner (customer) base and is key to overall customer satisfaction after products are deployed to institutions.
- Act as Tier 2 Support.
- Reproduce and confirm product/data defects.
- Gather information and prescribe steps to resolution for expected vs. actual outcomes.
- Develop and debug ETL data transformations to map client data systems into our canonical data schema.
- Gather customer requirements and business logic and translate into query logic for use in custom data views and filters.
- Develop and debug data extract and ingest behavior using AWS and Linux cloud-based tools.
- Monitor product environments such as data feeds and SLA uptimes.
- Create technical documentation to serve as a knowledge base for handling support issues and recurring data engineering tasks.
- Ensure partner inquiries are responded to within established timeframes and support service levels are achieved.
- 2+ years experience in technical support or equivalent customer-facing role with a track record of increased responsibility.
- Ability to read and write SQL database queries.
- Ability to work from a Linux command-line.
- Ability to navigate SIS, LMS, and homegrown databases for root cause problem identification and analysis.
- Ability to diagnose issues in source code to assist engineering prioritization.
- Possess advanced customer relations skills to de-escalate situations and build unified partner trust.
- Excellent written, verbal, and listening skills to convey complex technical issues to appropriate audiences correctly for action or education.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple issues and priorities at once.
- Work as a high performing contributor on the Partner Care team and with other departments.
Nice to Have Skills
- ETL pipeline development
- AWS (EC2, S3, Redshift)
- PeopleSoft, Banner, Colleague or Degree Works databases
- Python and/or Java
About Civitas Learning®:
Civitas Learning offers medical, dental, and vision insurance as well as a 401k plan. We also have a generous flexible, paid time off policy. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Civitas Learning partners with universities and colleges dedicated to helping more students learn well and finish strong. We provide tools and services for educators that bring together and make the most of their diverse and disconnected data streams; personalize information and support for their students; and deepen understanding of the impact of their student-success initiatives. Through our work together, our partners are empowering leaders, advisors, faculty, & students—and measurably improving enrollment, persistence, and graduation outcomes.
Today, Civitas Learning is a strategic partner to more than 350 colleges and universities, serving nearly 8 million students. Together with our growing community of partners, Civitas Learning is making the most of the world’s learning data to graduate a million more students per year by 2025.