Payroll Senior Manager
Amherst sponsors and develops companies that help institutional investors underwrite and manage their U.S. real estate investments with holdings in asset management, investment banking, loan origination, technology and single family residential. We seek a talented and resourceful and experienced Payroll Manager.
The Sr. Manager plays an important role with oversight responsibility for all aspects of payroll processing for a multi-state/multi-province for 1,000+ employee base. The position is responsible for the preparation, audit, documentation, and disbursement of hourly and salary payroll, and ensures that all processes are compliant with federal, state and local agencies. You must be methodical and analytical in administering payroll duties, use your deep knowledge of regulations, and also supervise the company payroll team and liaise with other company managers and professionals to ensure payroll procedures are compliant, efficient and current.
Responsibilities Of The Role:
- Develop systems to process payroll account transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, deductions, taxes and third party payments
- Ensure timely and accurate filing of all payroll taxes, garnishments, and required reporting
- Coordinate timekeeping and payroll systems
- Oversee processing of payroll changes and system upgrades
- Ensure compliance with relevant federal, state, and local laws and internal policies
- Supervise and coach payroll processors and assistants
- Liaise with auditors and manage payroll tax audits
- Collaborate with Human Resources and finance teams
- Maintain accurate records and prepare reports by fully leveraging reporting capabilities of systems
- Oversee migration to new payroll system/provider
- Research and resolve payroll issues with vendors and/or employees
- Identify opportunities to drive consistency in payroll across all Amherst entities
- Manage one to two employees
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Human Resources
- Minimum of 7 years of payroll experience
- CPM or CPP preferred but not required
- Must have strong working knowledge of Excel & ADP and similar payroll software packages
- Experience implementing a payroll system or HRIS advantageous
- Working knowledge of tax regulation and tax reporting in all states and locals, particularly Texas, New York, Georgia, California
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to accuracy
- Outstanding communication skills (written and oral)
- Organizational and leadership skills, will have led or managed people in prior roles.
- Proactively suggest process improvements
At Amherst, we understand that our employees are the invaluable drivers of our success. Working together to find the best ways to give our institutional investors the tools they need to capitalize on market opportunities in the world’s largest and most complex debt market is a challenge we don’t take lightly, and we strive to outpace the competition. That’s why we hire the most talented, passionate individuals who enjoy contributing to a growing, winning team focused on being a world-class leader in developing analytical tools and advisory services to drive better investment decisions.
Our businesses encompass asset management, investment banking, loan origination, technology and single family residential. The Amherst Residential platform manages multiple pools of capital that invest in single family rental homes. Since the platform was created in 2012, it has raised more than $6 billion of debt and equity capital in support of its acquisition, stabilization and portfolio sale activities. To manage its portfolio of single family homes and support its development and sale activities, Amherst founded Main Street Renewal, an internally managed, vertically integrated property acquisition, repair and management business. Based in Austin, TX we have offices in NY and 25+ regional offices and call centers across the US.
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.