Senior Tax Manager
Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
The Amherst Residential (“AR”) Senior Tax Manager is responsible for all federal, state and local tax administration and its application to both internal and external parties. The role will lead the monthly and quarterly review of all tax exposure from partnership level income tax to property and sales/use tax. This position will play an integral role in the Financial Accounting and Planning functions supporting the company’s growth. The ideal candidate will be highly skilled and process oriented comfortable working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. The Senior Tax Manager must maintain a results driven approach and hold him/herself accountable for results.
A day in the life of a Senior Tax Manager
This role is an individual contributor that may develop into leading a team. The individual will work close with the existing finance, strategy and operations teams as well as existing and new external service providers. A successful candidate will be responsible for:
- The evaluation of all significant tax rules at the state and federal level that impact our core business
- Preparing and submitting tax position papers to the company’s external tax prepares to optimize the tax liability for our investors and owners
- Preparing monthly and quarterly state property tax filings in conjunction with our third party administrator
- Work with Accounts Payable to develop and implement proper sales / use tax policies by state and type of product
- Assisting in the preparation of the Company’s quarterly Board and Board Committee reviews
- Identify ways to reduce our reliance on third party administrators
- Collaborating with AR’s Controllers and the Director of Internal Audit for the development and implementation of policies, procedures, and internal controls, as needed
- Coordinating with external tax prepares for quarterly reviews and year-end tax filings
- Other duties as necessary
What we offer:
Amherst is a privately held corporation located in West Austin with beautiful views of Lake Austin and the loop 360 bridge in a modern work-space with open floor plans.
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO, 8 paid holidays
- Employer paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- On-premise fitness center, locker rooms
- Daily catered lunches, fully stocked kitchen with snacks/drinks
- Relaxed casual environment and weekly/quarterly office events!
What you’ll need to have
- 5-10 years of experience working in similar state and local or federal tax role is required
- Bachelors in Accounting or Finance
- CPA designation a plus
- Advanced understanding of state and local property tax rules and the ability to apply account and forecast changes in those tax rule
- Demonstrate clear proficiency in state and local tax regulations and research
- Real estate industry experience required
- Robust interpersonal skills, work with little supervision and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize assignments, deal with interruptions, and meet deadlines in a fast paced and growth oriented environment
- Audit experience a plus to identify control weaknesses and develop solutions for rapid implementation
- Highly proficient in MS office applications: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook.
Just a few other things you should know
- Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
- Limited travel is anticipated for this position
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.