Sr. Manager Revenue
Forcepoint is transforming cybersecurity by focusing on what matters most: understanding people’s intent as they interact with critical data and intellectual property wherever it resides. Our uncompromising systems enable companies to empower employees with unobstructed access to confidential data while protecting intellectual property and simplifying compliance. Based in Austin, Texas, Forcepoint supports more than 20,000 organizations worldwide. For more about Forcepoint, visit www.Forcepoint.com and follow us on Twitter at @ForcepointSec.
We are looking to expand our Revenue Accounting team, hiring a Senior Manager of Revenue Management. This is a unique opportunity to manage and lead the revenue recognition function for a leading multi-million dollar global software company based in Austin, TX.
This position requires a “hands on” person who is flexible, hard-working and able to work well in a dynamic team setting. As a Revenue Expert within our organization, you’ll understand the qualities it takes to be a true leader while navigating the challenging and complex world of revenue recognition policy. The focus will be on maintaining properly controlled systems and processes, ensuring compliance with revenue recognition policies and procedures, and performing month/quarterly close requirements including reporting.
- Review revenue contracts to ensure revenue is recognized in accordance with software revenue recognition rules under GAAP and ASC 606, Revenue from Contracts with Customers. Review draft contract and customer orders for potential revenue recognition issues.
- Prepare periodic internal revenue reports for the Director, Global Revenue and sales organization.
- Write white papers citing accounting guidance to document revenue recognition position on large/complex deals and new product launches.
- Review sales, distribution and marketing agreements to identify accounting issues and to monitor compliance with the company's revenue recognition policies.
- Assist sales and legal teams with contract negotiation by participating in discussions, reviewing draft contracts, and providing revenue recognition recommendations.
- Actively participate in monthly and quarterly close activities.
- Oversee monthly reconciliations of all revenue, deferred revenue and accounts receivable accounts.
- Identify opportunities for improvement to current business processes and practices.
- Collaborate with legal, sales, operations and finance to evaluate new licensing or subscription models. Evaluate impacts to revenue recognition and communicate key risks to management.
- Maintain and update internal control documentation for revenue recognition and support for audits of related controls.
- Monitor industry/regulatory changes with respect to revenue recognition, and develop new processes and policies to accommodate accordingly.
- Manage the BESP analysis, revenue re-allocations and quarterly contract revenue recognition reviews with external auditors.
Education and Experience
- 5+ years of revenue recognition experience in a software or technology company that has a complex, recurring revenue stream
- Must have at least a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, or similar, CPA is highly preferred
- Experience working in a Big 4 Public Accounting firm is highly preferred
- 4+ years management experience required; MUST BE a solid, motivating leader
- At least 7+ years technical accounting experience (with preferably a focus on revenue recognition) in both public accounting and corporate environments with hardware/software company preferred
- Experience dealing with Federal Business an advantage
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and thorough understanding of GAAP in the area of revenue recognition, preferably in a software and/or services environment, Must have a sound knowledge of the new Revenue recognition standard ASC 606
- Ability to perform in depth research on complex technical accounting matter and effectively summary conclusions.
- System savvy and ability to work with different applications and databases; experience with Softrax and SalesForce, a plus.
- Advanced level of proficiency in MS Office Suite (especially MS Excel) required.