Data Science Intern
As a Data Science Intern at HomeAway – you’ll work with an amazing group of Data Scientists who play a major role in how we architect, visualize, and interpret critical data that is at the very core of our business.
What you’ll do:
- Work on a data science team tackling real business issues
- Provide data-driven and machine learning solutions affecting our vacation rental platform
- Work with a Senior Data Scientist to deploy your solutions into a production environment
- Articulate storytelling to business & product stakeholders
- Share knowledge and insights with the Data Science team
- Project Examples/Description:
- Content Team: The HomeAway Content team has partnered with the Data Science team to explore using techniques like natural language processing and computer vision to enhance our website’s content. For example, we use deep learning models to recognize attractive property photographs and identify property amenities. We also use these models to identify showcase photographs for popular vacation destinations.
- Chatbot Team: The Conversational UI team is working with the Data Science team to create a booking assistant bot to ease friction during the booking process. We use natural language processing techniques to create this dialog.
Technologies we use:
- Python, R, AWS, Docker, Qubole, Databricks, Hive, Hadoop, SQL, Tensorflow, Scikit-learn, Xgboost, Caffe, Pandas
Who you are:
- Our Ideal Intern:
- Academic experience in quantitative field such as Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics or Physics
- Experience with programming languages such as R, Python, or Scala
- Familiarity with various machine learning and deep learning models
- Background in Data Engineering and/or Data Analysis a plus
- Database knowledge and expertise in SQL also a plus
- Good storytelling and presentation skills
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive compensation
- 401k Plan
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free drinks and snacks
- Electric adjustable stand up desk
- Casual dress code
This role is part of HomeAway University which starts June 3rd, 2019 and lasts for 11 weeks. Learn more about our HomeAway University training program here: https://www.homeaway.com/careers/university
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.