HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
Get an introduction to the world of product design at a large, competitive tech company that's changing the face of travel. HomeAway seeks an Experience Design Intern to work alongside our team of Experience Designers, Design Technologists, Content Designers, and Researchers at our modern North Austin design studio. This is a rare opportunity for someone pursuing a degree in Human Factors, Interaction Design, Graphic Design, or related areas, to gain hands-on experience in user-centered design for a leading global travel brand.
At HomeAway, we thrive at the intersection of data, technology, creativity, and user outcomes. We use data to guide our design decisions, and we objectively seek to understand user problems and opportunities. As an intern on our team, you'll help us transform business problems into user-experience opportunities — crafting, testing, and launching products that are usable, useful, and delightful to the travelers and homeowners who make up both sides of our vacation-rental marketplace.
You'll be paired with a Senior Experience Designer, who will act as your mentor throughout the program. Drawing from insights and customer data, you’ll identify, investigate and validate design problems, and you'll observe customer testing that enables you to see the impact of your work on the products we design.
What you’ll do:
- You'll participate in product-design ceremonies (grooming, design sprints, sketching and prototyping, research studies) alongside design peers and cross-functional Product team members.
- You'll assist Senior Experience Designers in developing clear design strategies for how, what, and when to test.
- You'll work quickly but precisely to prototype your designs and get them in front of users.
- You'll hone your craft and evolve your designs by participating in peer reviews, group design critiques, and in-house research usability tests.
- You'll communicate results and illustrate suggestions in compelling and creative ways, understandable by a cross-functional and cross-cultural audiences.
Who you are:
- Desired experience:
- A design portfolio that you’re proud to share (academic or conceptual work is acceptable for this role)
- Working knowledge of Sketch, Sketch libraries, Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, or other creative and collaborative software
- Familiarity with modern app-development practices (Agile, Scrum, Kanban, etc.)
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to identify and astutely describe design problems
- Excellent written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent work ethic and a natural inclination to learn and share your knowledge with others
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive compensation
- 401(k) Plan
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Discounted rail and bus passes
- Free drinks and snacks
- Electric adjustable stand up desk
- Casual dress code
This role is part of HomeAway University, which starts June 3, 2019, and lasts for 11 weeks. Learn more about our HomeAway University training program here: https://www.homeaway.com/careers/university
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.