Java Developer with UI
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at HomeAway.com, an Expedia Inc. company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
As for engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas. Technologies we work with include Mongodb, Cassandra, Apache Spark, Kafka, Mesos, Splunk, Jenkins, Docker, AWS (EC2, S3, EMR, RDS and multi data center architecture), and SQL Server.
What We Need: An experienced Java Developer with a passion for UI
What You’ll Do:
If you’re the right person for the job you will be joining the growing Data Technology team focusing on our Data Platform. As a Data Tools Engineer, you will continue to drive HomeAway's culture of engineering excellence. The Data Tools team creates tools to help both the Ops teams and the Dev teams deploy infrastructure, schema and data in AWS. This team’s tools have been used to provision HomeAway’s persistent cloud storage; and you will be helping design and build new intellectual property that overshadows commercial offerings of Oracle etc. in functionality. You will focus on Java application development; and also lead the team’s efforts on providing the best experience for our clients with your creative work on UI and UX.
What You’ll Get:
As a member of the Data Tools team you will be driving HomeAway's engineering culture, by building, evangelizing and supporting our multi-petabyte Data Platform. You’ll have the chance to be an ally lauded by our Ops, Data and Dev teams for providing them tools that are both functional and intuitive. Our ever-growing footprint will give you the opportunity to work at scale while being creative in an agile team. You’ll be joining a team that grows together, and people go out of their way to help each other succeed. You’ll also get to work with partners across the globe gaining international experience in a fast paced eCommerce industry all while working in an incredible office space!
- You will design and deploy dockerized data tools that orchestrate critical data platforms on AWS and sync heterogeneous data across the world.
- You will lead the Data Tools team effort to enhance customer satisfaction and loyalty by improving the usability, ease of use, and intuitiveness of our tools suite.
- The tools you help design, will efficiently orchestrate multi-region database clusters that run a variety of platforms like Cassandra, Mongodb, Elasticsearch and Redis; and update the schema and data on these platforms.
- You will be involved in prototyping, architecting, and implementing/updating the CI/CD pipelines that deploy the data infrastructure.
- You will be developing integration test suites for distributed systems.
- You are involved in collecting metrics on the tools’ usage, performance forecasting/modeling and monitoring.
- You will conduct peer reviews and code walk-throughs.
- You are a self-starter and can work independently on technical projects but also work collaboratively with project team members through an agile development.
- You will use your excellent communication skills to assist in conducting user feedback sessions, requirements gathering, and design reviews.
- Education: You have a BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Programming skills: You have 5+ years of Java (Dropwizard/Spring MVC). Experience coding in Scala/Spark is a plus. Strong understanding of multi-threading in Java, knowledge of Maven dependencies and conflict resolution, and writing JUnit tests are expected from every Java developer at HomeAway. You understand common OOP design patterns like SOLID.
- UI skills: Knowledge of React (preferred)/AngularJS, HTML5, CSS3, JQuery, Bootstrap, and mockup tools like Balsamiq are expected; experience with graph visualization frameworks like D3 and Canvas are a plus since we are big on real-time metrics and metrics tend to show up on dashboards.
- Persisted/cached data skills: You’ve implemented code that uses both relational (MSSQL/MySQL) and non-relational (Mongodb/Cassandra) data stores. You understand the difference between a data store and a cache; and have experience using both.
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time; 12 weeks of paid paternity/maternity leave
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com