International Trade Compliance Manager
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers more than 10 trillion requests per month. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the role:
We are seeking an International Trade Compliance Manager to lead a variety of trade compliance initiatives within Cloudflare. The focus will be on developing, implementing and maintaining policies and procedures pertaining to U. S. government programs and regulations in collaboration with the Logistics and Security and Legal Compliance organizations. The International Trade Compliance Manager will play a critical role in mitigating risks associated with import and export operations, and enable a rapidly growing international infrastructure.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in Global Trade Compliance, using experience and knowledge of U. S. and foreign trade regulations, as well as other partner governmental agencies, to promote increased compliance within the organization.
- Interface with external vendors: customs brokers, freight forwarders, service providers (including IOR/EOR companies), and regulatory officials to ensure the smooth and complaint handling of all aspects of the company’s international shipments.
- Works with cross functional internal stakeholders to resolve operations/transactional issues: Network Strategy, Hardware, Legal Compliance, Security, Tax, Data Center Operations, Logistics, Procurement and external stakeholders, across multiple Cloudflare locations to drive and deliver exceptional service, ensuring uninterrupted customs and supply chain operations.
- Manage and execute the end-to-end logistics process for exports with limited dwell time across the Supply Chain.
- Review proposed export and import transactions to determine licensing requirements under the ITAR, EAR, and/or other US regulations.
- Prepare and submit license and agreement applications to BIS, track and manage the activity on open licenses, and manage restricted/denied party screening process.
- Develop, implement, and maintain corporate policies and procedures, driving company-wide compliance with global trade programs, and support various trade preference programs and initiatives.
- Define and implement metrics for International Trade Compliance operations and develop global trade and logistics processes in support of global supply chain operations.
- Support Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) classification, Schedule B classification, and Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) determination.
- Lead internal, external, and government-directed compliance audits and assessments, and manage U.S. customs reconciliation program.
- Manage imports and exports compliance record-keeping and reporting efforts, and monitor import/ export compliance activities and procedures around information technology across the entire supply value chain of Cloudflare.
- Determine export jurisdiction and classification of hardware, software, and technology.
- Maintain knowledge of and keep up with US Export and Customs Compliance and Foreign Trade regulations affecting the company and our exports, and educates and trains internal staff on international policy changes and new directives.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Previous experience with risk analysis and mitigation programs.
- Experience interacting with BIS, U. S. Customs and other government agencies.
- Degree in Supply Chain Management, International Trade, or equivalent.
- U. S. Customs Broker License strongly preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of US Customs Rules and Regulations including product classification, temporary importations, post summary adjustments, preferential trade programs, and Carnets.
- Knowledge of the US Export Administration Regulations (EAR), Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) requirements, as well as CBP/Census requirements for AES filing.
- Regulatory experience with ITAR, EAR and OFAC Sanctions Regulations, Anti-Boycott, Foreign Trade Regulations, and export classification is required.
- Knowledge of import and export regulations of other countries is a plus.
- Experience with cloud services, fast moving software and enterprise solutions.
- Detail oriented, highly organized, with the ability to multi-task and manage complex projects across multiple teams within set deadlines.
- Ability to solve problems and answer questions with minimal supervision.
- Excellent communication skills, ability to write, speak, and present effectively and persuasively.
- 3 years experience in managing Software and Hardware related Trade Compliance Programs.
- Familiarity with maintaining trade master data in enterprise resourcing planning (ERP) systems and related databases.
- 5+ years relevant experience with international trade compliance responsibilities in a complex import / export environment.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.