Director, Public Relations
Bestow is a smarter approach to life insurance using big data and technology to bring simple and affordable coverage to everyone.
Who We Are
First thing you need to know; Bestow is not your typical insurance company. We’ve completely reimagined industry assumptions, and harnessed technology and big data to create life insurance products that aren’t just delightful to use, but deliver on our mission: to make financial products accessible to more people than ever before.
Check us out at hellobestow.com
Who We’re Looking For
“Innovative” and “disruptive” can be overused words. But at Bestow, it isn’t jargon, it’s an
everyday rally cry. We are rewriting the rules of the 400-year-old, $7 trillion life insurance
industry, serving communities who have been underserved in the past, and we believe the
future is a bright one.
So, if you’re excited by the idea of building an industry-defining brand from scratch, working at a
mission-driven company, and fundamentally shaking up an age-old industry, read on, friend.
We’re looking for a passionate, strategic, results-driven Public Relations Director to build, lead
and execute a targeted media and public relations strategy. But isn’t that what all the PR job
descriptions say? We’re looking for so much more.
We need a truly creative thinker. Someone who is able to connect our life insurance product, the
mission behind it, and the interests of the mainstream media. Someone who sees opportunity
everywhere. There are tech stories here, human stories, edifying stories, financial stories,
adulting stories, stories about the disadvantaged, stories about stay at home spouses—stories
upon stories, waiting to be told. We are looking for someone who sees all this, and more.
This isn’t a “set it and forget it” role. We’re looking for an action-oriented leader who will run
through walls and who can deftly advise and execute across traditional media publicity, events,
digital and video communications; social and influencer activations and brand partnerships.
Ours is also an individual contributor role, reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer, so we’re looking
for someone who’s ready to make an impact at scale. Someone who is passionate about culture
and delivering great work that is creative while delivering on the business objectives.
What We'd Like You To Do
- Create and execute annual communication plan to drive strategic brand goals.
- Develop and implement media relations strategy and plan, seeking high level placements in print, broadcast and online media with goal to elevate the brand awareness in the marketplace.
- Create an innovative, powerful earned media strategy: developing tailored pitches, hyper-targeting media contacts, media outreach and placement of stories.
- Create press materials: brand messaging, customized pitches, press releases, media training/briefing books
- Strengthen overall knowledge of our product, internally and externally - convey brand messages accurately and articulately to media, consumers, influencers, suppliers, partners and colleagues.
- Develop and enhance influencer relations for new exposure areas in the insurance and financial industry, and other select passion areas.
- Create captivating brand narratives and series of soundbites
- Work closely with brand and strategy team to develop messaging regarding the mission-driven nature of our company, to enhance the reputation of our brand.
- Identify thought-leadership opportunities inclusive of leadership speaking opportunities and op-eds.
- Develop KPIs and ensure measurement tactics in place to quantify exposure.
A Little About You
- You have solid, 5+ year-specialist PR experience (from a PR agency or client-side PR role).
- You have developed breakthrough PR programs inclusive of earned, paid and owned media strategies to build brand awareness and allure.
- You have a proven track record of A-level media results and established network of media relationships (local and national).
- You think strategically, understand the big picture but are not afraid to get your hands dirty and approach projects in a collaborative manner.
- You are an energetic, self-starter; work independently, and are able to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- You are aware of the latest trends, cultural happenings and lifestyle fields.
- You are a gifted writer and communicator with a flair for compelling stories that command attention.
- You have knowledge of key influences and influencers in the digital and social media space.
- You have robust, personally-managed media and influencer contacts.
- You are a deft negotiator with major writers, editors and producers during the pitch, engagement and fact-checking process.
- You are a savvy media strategist that understands non-profit and philanthropic enterprises, and how they dovetail into a larger for-profit story.
- You are detail-oriented enough to have read this entire description, and mention this bullet point in your application.
- Bachelors Degree in Communications, or related field.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description