Public Relations Specialist
Are you passionate about travel? Do you want to be in a high pace, high energy workplace bent on revolutionizing the industry? Are you a hands-on individual that has the ability to work independently and provide thoughtful insights to teams?
HomeAway is looking for an experienced communications professional to join the US Public Relations team. You’ll be joining an energetic group responsible for getting media coverage for the HomeAway and Vrbo brands. We’re looking for someone who is equally comfortable brainstorming out-of-the-box integrated marketing campaign ideas and analyzing data to extrapolate trends in the fast-growing category of vacation rental travel. This person will develop and execute PR strategies, plans and materials and manage media relations spanning business, consumer and lifestyle, travel and technology verticals. This person must be able to quickly learn and understand the company, its products and services and manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
This job might be for you if:
You pick up the phone and call journalists.
You’re a proud member of the grammar police.
You write in a clear, compelling way – no clichés.
You’re a stickler for details and never miss a deadline.
You voraciously follow the news – from political to pop culture.
Build and nurture relationships with media to continuously get HomeAway and Vrbo in the headlines; secure coverage results ranging from corporate announcements to seasonal travel tips
Project manage programs and PR campaigns, working closely with others on the communications team and other departments that contribute to the integrated marketing mix
Write news releases, talking points, PR plans and other materials that support marketing and business objectives
Identify trends and story ideas about travel, vacation rental ownership and technology to secure an ongoing stream of earned media
Collaborate in a fast-paced environment with global communications team, external PR agency and cross-functional marketing departments to plan and execute highly visible integrated campaigns
- 4-6 years of previous experience in public relations or communications
- Bachelor’s degree in a job-relevant field
- Experience working in travel, corporate, technology or related industry, agency experience a plus
- Proven success pitching media and securing earned press coverage
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; proficient in AP style
- Ability to prioritize and manage projects for multiple clients or stakeholders
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and thorough follow-through on projects with tight deadlines
- High level of autonomy and initiative while maintaining strong interpersonal skills and collaborative attitude
- Analytical, inquisitive and data-driven mindset; ability to develop and continuously try and test new ideas
- Experience collaborating with other marketing teams and departments to accomplish shared goals
- Proficiency using media databases, CMS, wiring services and media monitoring platforms
- Some graphic design and video editing a plus, with knowledge of basic tools such as Illustrator, Photo Shop, InDesign, Canva, iMovie and/or Final Cut.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.