Executive Director, Customer Operations
Vista Consulting Group (VCG) is the dedicated consulting partner of Vista Equity Partners (www.vistaequitypartners.com), a leading global technology investor with over $46 billion in cumulative capital commitments. Our team of subject matter experts and consultants partner with market-leading software and technology companies to achieve lasting results by investing in the people, knowledge, and connections that have been proven to strengthen their success. Our insights from hundreds of software investments over nearly two decades create a deep and differentiated understanding of how a software company thrives. We work alongside management teams to develop exceptional talent, capture and enhance the knowledge of our companies, and cultivate meaningful relationships across our executive network. VCG is integral to Vista's investment philosophy and vision, offering management teams expertise, focus, and discipline to achieve their goals and advance their operational and growth strategies. Explore current and past Vista companies here: https://www.vistaequitypartners.com/companies/
Why Vista Consulting Group?
Vista's family of companies collectively represent the fourth-largest enterprise software company in the world. We invest in our people, with a relentless focus on talent. At VCG, you will have the opportunity to work shoulder-to-shoulder with some of the world's most thoughtful, curious, and talented software executives, including several CEOs named among 2019's top 50 SaaS CEOs: https://www.thesoftwarereport.com/the-top-50-saas-ceos-of-2019/
Your role within VCG will strengthen your existing skills, grow and widen your capabilities, and offer you an unparalleled path for personal development and career growth. Do you aim to be the best in your field? Do you enjoy partnering with talented executives and collaborating on challenging business opportunities? Are you curious about how to make great businesses even better? Are you motivated by seeing others succeed? Join us.
What's Different About Vista?
Vista invests in the long-term, sustainable success of our portfolio companies, with the industry's largest dedicated consulting team. Today, Vista's consulting practice has a dedicated staff of over 130 employees, whose sole focus is advancing and partnering with our companies to help leaders and teams within Vista businesses implement proven best practices, sharpen skills, broaden their networks, and continually innovate in their markets. Because Vista only invests in enterprise software, data, and tech-enabled companies, we are in a unique position to scale our approach across the portfolio and to accelerate the growth of both our investments and our people across our global ecosystem of innovation.
We are searching for an Executive Director focused on post-sales customer operations, who will partner closely with Vista company Chief Customer Officers / Chief Operations Officers; their lieutenants in Services, Support, and Customer Success; and CEOs to drive successful transformations in coordination with the company's wider executive suite.
This leader will work in tandem with experts across the Vista Consulting Group to ensure portfolio companies are aligned on both the strategy and execution tactics of the CEO's goals and targets, ultimately supporting powerful growth.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience leading services, support, and customer success organizations, bringing a deep understanding of how to create effortless experiences that drive value for existing customers, in support of long-term customer growth. Experience in consulting or advisory roles is an added plus.
This person will play a critical role tasked with scaling the practice's post-sales expertise in line with Vista's growth objectives. The core mission of this role is supporting results and innovating, ensuring our portfolio companies remain on the cutting edge in all aspects of serving existing customers.
Detailed responsibilities include:
- Leading, coaching, developing, and managing a group of direct reports within VCG, who serve as domain experts in services, support, and customer success
- Continue to evolve Vista's best practices and strategies to include leading-edge, repeatable, and measurable processes where Vista can deliver material results in partnership with portfolio companies during transformation
- Ensure VCG's services, support, and customer success-focused training programs (for portfolio company executives) represent the 'best thinking' for developing employees at various points in their career, and drive improved on-the-job results while accelerating participant career trajectory
- Understand critical cross-functional connections at each portfolio company, working with Operating Principals, Value Creation team, and other functional practices to determine enhancements and changes needed to achieve company investment thesis
- Partner closely with VCG's executive recruiting practice to assess CCO / COO and related functional leadership talent and readiness for roles
- Coach Vista Company CCO / COOs on board deck creation and presentations to articulate strategy, value delivered, and priority initiatives
- Create a culture of excellence that brings out the best in staff regardless of position
- Develop and foster community and information sharing between key communities in post-sales, including facilitating sessions during annual Best Practice Sharing Summit events
Requirements & Qualifications
- Sophisticated communication skills, including strong presentation skills; an engaging speaker who can craft and present messages in a compelling, easy-to-understand manner
- Ability to engage with and influence executives both internally and externally across the C-suite; demonstrated strength at advocating and helping execute strategy
- An outstanding reputation as a client advisor and trusted counsel for leaders and executives
- Consistently operate with high integrity
- Ability to manage competing priorities and stakeholders to come to the best outcome
- Experience operating in both the tactical and strategic; able to set a long-term vision for success with portfolio company executives while ensuring pieces are in place to provide project leadership and support across the portfolio
- Proven team development and leadership skills, able to inspire others to action and bind people to the firm while delivering world-class results
- 15+ years of experience with deep experience in technology (including SaaS business models)
- Indirect experience plus: Has exposure to indirect and partner relationships (e.g., services or training partnerships, sell-through partnerships, etc.) and understands nuances to supporting customer retention and growth with third parties are involved
- Willingness to travel (expected travel in this role is ~60% of the time, steady-state)
Education: Bachelor's Degree in a relevant discipline, MBA degree preferred