The Networks team designs, builds and maintains all the infrastructure that allows our global trading and research environment to run 24/7. We are looking for a network engineer with experience deploying and maintaining large networks and managing the full WAN optimization lifecycle. You will drive our WAN strategy, manage vendor relationships, on-board new markets, and much more.
This position requires both project management and deep technical skills; you’ll be responsible for everything from negotiations to routing configuration and troubleshooting. You will work closely with our systems and operations teams as well as others at HRT to build, manage, and monitor our low latency trading network. You’ll have broad responsibilities and freedom to analyze and solve problems, and your solutions will have an immediate impact on our operations worldwide. We’re looking for someone who is excited about tackling big picture problems, working on a wide variety of projects and technologies, and contributing to both the project management and the technical nitty-gritty of our global network architecture.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills: able to distill complicated issues into clear and concise terms
- Able to create and maintain clear and effective technical documentation
- Excellent troubleshooting skills on wide variety of networking issues, including common Ethernet LAN problems, office Wi-Fi, multicast market data distribution, and global WAN
- Able to help others inside and outside HRT; understand complex symptoms and debug effectively in tight timeframes
- In depth understanding of common layer 2 and layer 3 network protocols and best practices; working knowledge of OSPF, BGP, PIM, IGMP
- Experience managing Arista, Cisco, and other common networking devices on a day-to-day basis
- Experience in designing enterprise networks, capacity planning, and full lifecycle project management
- Experience with packet decoding and analysis tools such as tcpdump and Wireshark
- Understanding of basic power consumption and cooling issues in a datacenter environment
- Knowledge of fiber optics technology and cabling standards; ability to sort through specs and make recommendations on appropriate purchases
- Experience with Unix/Linux command line and networking stack.
- Familiarity with firewalls, VPNs and NAT
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or related IT field
- 3-4 years of relevant experience
- High attention to detail and excellent prioritization skills, able to plan and prioritize workloads to meet implementation schedules
- Eager to learn and apply new skills quickly
- Willingness and ability to solve small technical problems in the field yourself
- You enjoy tinkering with technology in your spare time
- You have excellent communication skills and a willingness to admit mistakes
Hudson River Trading brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we are mathematicians, computer scientists, statisticians, physicists and engineers. We research and develop automated trading algorithms using advanced mathematical techniques. We have a fun and casual office atmosphere, but everyone works diligently to get the job done. We boast a flat management structure as all our people are motivated by the excitement of being at the forefront of the automated trading world. No politics or red tape impede the generation or implementation of ideas.