Product Manager, Search & Discovery Platform
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, isthe world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places tostay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands.HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that providetravelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room torelax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The companyalso makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers toadvertise their properties and manage bookings online.
Product Manager, Search & DiscoveryPlatform
Interested in a rare opportunity to help buildand grow an online marketplace? Are you a product manager with strong technicalskills that is passionate about building great products and customerexperiences? HomeAway is an exciting, international, profitable company that istransforming the market to become the world's leading vacation rentalmarketplace. We are searching for a Product Manager to join HomeAway's Travelerproduct team to develop and grow our search and discovery platform that powersour core value proposition for helping our travelers find the perfect vacationacross HomeAway, VRBO and global HomeAway sites around the world. The idealcandidate is a strategic thinker, analytical, detailed and results-orientedwith excellent problem-solving skills and a strong work ethic. We're looking for a leader with a passion forboth product and engineering that has a strong blend of user experience,product and technology skills. The Search & Discovery Platform PM willcollaborate closely with traveler front-end teams to design the optimalshopping experience, engineers to deliver a robust product solution that ishighly available, performant & scalable, and other internal teams (e.g. Marketplace,Partner Experience, Traffic Acquisition, Analytics) to understand theirrequirements of the platform. The Search & Discovery Platform PM must havea detailed understanding of HomeAway’s search, filters and query resolutiontechnology stack and the underlying algorithms & data structures.Proficiency with SQL is a must to be successful in this role.
- Develop, communicate and execute the vision, strategyand roadmap for the Search Platform portfolio, in partnership with key stakeholdersincluding Engineering, Traveler UI, and Marketplace teams to drive highertraveler conversion and more bookings for our partners.
- Lead the Search & Discovery Platform team duringpreparation and participation in 120-day planning sessions, monthly productreviews, and deep dive workshops.
- Collaborate daily with the Development and Data Scienceteam to ensure project requirements are clearly defined and properly phased tofacilitate timely delivery of functionality.
- Evangelize and practice the test and learn methodologyto quickly and efficiently identify and evaluate opportunities that will informthe roadmap.
- Conduct competitive analysis and industry research toidentify gaps and opportunities that will further inform the product roadmapfor our search and geography platform.
- Manage the quality of our filter and query data thatpowers traveler search results and ensure customer complaints are properly addressed.
- Collaborate across the product management organizationto ensure clarity of roles and responsibilities and maximize synergy forcross-cutting initiatives.
- Define, track and report on key metrics to measureeffectiveness and drive improvement e.g. feature usage, conversion rates
- Manage resolution of urgent technical issues whilecommunicating changes to business stakeholders.
- Make recommendations regarding policy changes that willenable and support the product vision and roadmap.
- 1-2 years of software product management experiencewithin an agile software development environment or recent college graduate.
- Familiarity utilizing SQL and Hadoop for data analysisto aid business decisions.
- Possess analytical reasoning and ability to boil downend user needs into new product/enhancement ideas and a relevant technicalframework.
- Ability to manage large, complex, international projectsin an extremely fast-paced environment.
- Proficient in using the scientific method to identifyand evaluate solutions to business problems.
- Ability to prioritize with conviction and communicatedecisions effectively.
- High level of initiative and desire to create aworld-class user experience for our customers.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, orequivalent technical background.
- Must be willing to travel up to 10% Internationally.
- Hobbyist programmer.
- Experience working with Data Science and using machinelearning to analyze and classify data.
- Experience with online A/B testing to drive improvementin customer experience and business results.
- Travel industry experience.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.