Director, Product Management - Platform Portfolio
Leading uniquely at the intersection point of technology and social good, Blackbaud provides software, services, expertise, and data intelligence that empowers and connects people to advance the social good movement. We serve the entire social good community, which includes nonprofits, foundation, corporations, education institutions, and the individual change agents who support them. We work with over 40,000 organizations, helping them realize their goals, fund their missions, manage their operations, and develop long-lasting supporter relationships. Our customers are passionate about making the world a better place, and we’re inspired by the opportunity to help them.
We are currently hiring a director within the product management function. This position is part of a key product strategy and portfolio planning function at Blackbaud. This role is accountable for setting the vision for and providing oversight to the core, developer, and commerce platform strategy that supports and enables our entire portfolio strategy. This director is accountable for managing all the strategic and operational efforts required to define and maintain Blackbaud’s platform strategy. A key objective of this role is amplifying Blackbaud’s maturity as a SaaS company, enabling all our development teams to deliver consistently and quickly with high quality and scale. This role ensures that all Blackbaud users have a seamless onboarding, authentication and enablement experience, and participants of our developer ecosystem can take advantage of our open platform to deliver consistent solutions across the portfolio. This role collaborates and strategizes with other portfolio leaders to establish a clear, long-range solution-led growth strategy that relies on product capabilities and usage as the primary drivers of client acquisition, retention, and expansion.
Blackbaud’s platform strategy is keystone to Blackbaud’s technology vision. Blackbaud is well on its way to delivering integrated and open cloud solutions that are underpinned by micro services. This role is specifically focused on ensuring Blackbaud delivers a common user experience across the innovative and competitive capabilities that create cloud solutions that serve the needs of specific vertical markets in the social good space. This role works across the Blackbaud portfolio, ensuring the feasibility of our cloud solutions based on a service design that is focused on client journey and creating “whole offerings” that drive client outcomes. This role will steward the defined set of technologies that enable products to share data and experiences with one another (e.g. moving from a monolithic codebase to a common set of APIs and services). This role requires agile leadership and will help drive a culture that is focused on being accountable for end-to-end experiences and being deliberate about experimentation, rapid release, and continuous iterations of capabilities to drive solutions forward incrementally, not sequentially. At its heart, we want to keep our technology easy to use and highly effective at driving client outcomes.
In addition, this role is a people management role which will require product management experience and proven leadership and coaching skills. The director leads a team of product managers who are the owners for specific services and is accountable for leading cross-functional leadership teams and managing all portfolio budgets and goals. The position of director is a great opportunity for someone skilled in collaborating in a highly-matrixed environment to achieve results. Ideal candidates are individuals who can maintain a high degree of professionalism with proven success in execution to achieve desired results. This person must have a passion for leadership while also being able to build strategy and address tactical challenges.
- Drive accountability for all aspects of the Platform portfolio including core platform services (API and UX), developer services (our engineering system, Identity services), commerce services (provisioning orchestration and enablement), and enabling cohesive customer experiences from client onboarding to client impact (alignment with IT, social platform, etc.)
- Drive accountability for prioritization and roadmap strategy and execution of adoption of key services in the Platform portfolio – taking great care in mapping and managing complex dependencies for various solutions, markets, and ecosystems
- Contribute to the achievement of specific product-specific revenue targets and customer retention targets, including managing risks and dependencies within the portfolio
- As part of the senior leadership team within the Product Management organization, help to set and support platform and solution strategy and priorities for the company
- Work closely with our IECO team to execute on a full SaaS/PaaS solution strategy
- Partner with other portfolio teams and product managers to ensure continuity of long-range plans across the portfolio, giving the utmost care to ensuring the feasibility of unmatched customers experiences within our high-priority vertical cloud solutions
- Manage a team of technical and platform product managers who function as a horizontal and are accountable for ensuring the platform vision and technology strategy enables consistent, cohesive experiences via our portfolio via shared components
- Recruit and retain a team of product managers, with extreme focus being given to cultivating a diverse, high-performing team that attracts, develops, recognizes, and retains our best people
- Direct the activities of a highly-matrixed team of cross-functional and cross-business unit stakeholders and leaders
- Leadership within Product Architectural Council and related workstreams that drive the company to achieve its technical and portfolio vision
- Lead regular presentations and reporting to evangelize the value of a cohesive Platform strategy and provide visibility to key stakeholders and executive leadership on the status and success of all Platform portfolio strategies, objectives, milestones, and roadmaps
- BS or BA, or equivalent experience required
- 8+ years related industry/program management experience
- Leadership and people management expertise
- Advanced industry/vertical knowledge
- Proven experience managing complex projects
- Proven experience dealing effectively with ambiguity and understanding multiple work streams and dependencies
- Ability to work across organizational structures including Product Management, Engineering, Finance/Accounting, Corporate IT, Sale, Marketing, and BUs
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and tradeoffs and determine optimum solution that keeps the customer experience intact
- Ability to diffuse conflict, negotiate, and improve critical internal and external relationships
- Ability to create compelling presentations and business cases
- Ability to analyze data and provide decision making support around your findings
- Mastery-level oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to stay calm under pressure, respond to customer needs quickly and effectively
- Self-motivated and able to thrive in a fast-paced and customer-focused environment
- Prior sales experience preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, relational database applications, web-based presentation tools, and Salesforce.com preferred
- Proficient/expert in MS Office tools and have experience with Agile and Pragmatic Product Management best practices and processes
- Experience with tools such as AHA, JIRA and TFS are critical
Why you’ll want to come work here:
- Competitive salary (commission/bonus based on type of role), 4 weeks paid time off, great benefits (medical, dental, vision, FSA), 401K match
- Gift matching, volunteer for vacation program, and endless community involvement opportunities
- Named to Forbes’ Fast Tech 25 and Fortune’s Change the World List; we are growing and offer incredible opportunity for advancement
- Tremendous company culture and office perks as well as a new cutting-edge new headquarters completed in 2018
Blackbaud is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
To all recruitment agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.