At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers trillions of requests per month. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
What you'll do
Cloudflare is looking for a Product Counsel to join the Legal team based either in our Austin or San Francisco office. The ideal candidate is a seasoned legal professional with deep technical knowledge and experience working with product and engineering teams to support their innovative efforts.
In this role, you will
- Play a broad role working closely with product and engineering teams on new and existing products to provide guidance on legal issues
- Engage throughout the product development life cycle to manage legal risk and ensure compliance in a collaborative fashion
- Draft terms of service, disclosures, policies and help implement related processes
- Work with outside counsel on patent prosecution and patent litigation strategy.
This role is ideal for someone who is a proactive self-starter and strategic thinker, who has a thirst for knowledge and continued growth, all while working as part of a great team. You’ll be able to to develop and improve upon our existing processes, and help us pave the way for continued expansion.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- JD degree with strong academic credentials and admitted to practice law in at least one U.S. jurisdiction (ideally California)
- 4+ years of relevant experience working in legal roles -- preferably with a technology transactions or intellectual property litigation background and with some experience in-house at a technology company
- Experience with compliance issues and standards at all levels (local, state, federal and international) and familiarity with industry-specific and consumer protection regimes (e.g. GDPR, PCI, advertising, data protection, etc.)
- A strong mix of legal, technical and business experience that will allow you to understand and discuss complex technical issues and data flows, especially related to software development, networking technology, and cyberlaw
- The ability to translate legal advice into actionable guidance for innovative product, engineering and sales teams
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage many tasks on a complex project
- Strong communication skills and cooperative team player. People want to work with you
- The ability to work in a cross-functional team, with lawyers and non-lawyers, to establish effective solutions efficiently and in an amenable manner.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.