Senior Product Designer
ShipStation is on a mission to make every seller, wherever they sell and however they ship, exceptionally efficient at fulfilling orders. We are looking for talented people who want to jump in and roll up their sleeves with us to make it happen. By furthering your career at ShipStation, you’ll enjoy the challenging work as well as the especially stellar benefits.
ShipStation is looking for a dedicated and friendly Senior Product Designer to be part of our Austin-based product team that has achieved huge success in our mission to make e-commerce sellers and shippers exceptionally efficient. This is a fantastic opportunity to work with a talented team that’s blazing new trails across the technology landscape. We are at the epicenter of the e-commerce economy, and our apps have a tremendous number of users - which means that your awesome work will make a positive difference in the real world!
The Senior Product Designer position is a critical role that will have a big impact on our products. From discussing our product’s strategic goals with executives and product managers, to diving into design details like transitions and micro-interactions, they will be involved in every stage of the design process. We’re counting on this role to raise our standards of excellence even higher, by demonstrating strong problem solving skills and blue-sky thinking that uncovers new opportunities to delight our customers. The Senior Product Designer will mentor other designers by giving (and accepting!) constructive feedback and documenting their work, ideas, and experiments. They will help influence our design processes and methodologies so that every project is more well-informed and polished than the previous one.
Being highly organized and an amazing communicator is a core part of this roles responsibilities. Each project will require a curious attitude when exploring the problem, an excellent listener and interviewer when gathering information from coworkers and customers, and a clear vision when they need to lead the way. All along the way the Senior Product Designer will be able to articulate the reasoning and direction of the team’s work to keep everyone involved aligned.
This position reports to the Director of Product Design
- Explore a problem or planned feature using tools like personas, journey maps, task analysis, stakeholder interviews, and contextual inquiry
- Generate ideas and solutions as wireframes, mockups, user flows
- Review your designs with peers and team leads and incorporate feedback
- Review your teammates designs and provide helpful insight and constructive criticism
- Evaluate your and your peers’ ideas by testing them with our customers, collecting their input, and digesting it into actionable feedback
- Documenting the project & process and sharing it with our team
- Working with our user interface library and helping us evolve it to better serve the needs of our customers
- Share your passion for new technologies and trends with our team and help us locate new sources of inspiration
- Help improve and evangelize our design processes
- Degree in HCI, Graphic Design, or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of web app and mobile app design experience
- Smart: Solid problem-solving skills, especially when it comes to complex workflows
- Experienced: Expert-level knowledge of design disciplines and principles (user-centered design, layout, information architecture, typography, color theory, ux patterns)
- Proficient: Extremely adept with design tools like Sketch, Photoshop, Axure, Invision, Framer.js, Adobe Illustrator. Solid understanding of web technologies (HTML5 and CSS3)
- Collaborative: Excellent communications skills. Able to receive and incorporate feedback from peers as well as stakeholders, as well as provide constructive criticism. Enjoys working with others.
- Talented: A portfolio of work that showcases strong design thinking (or similar) methodologies where users needs are the center of the solution.
- Organized: Can handle multiple projects at different phases of delivery at the same time, without sacrificing quality.
- Focused: a keen eye for detail and the ability to stay on task to ‘get it right’
- Adaptable: Willing to step up and lead a project, but also comfortable being a team player
- Motivated: Desire to grow and improve as a designer
- Bonus: A background in web or mobile productivity apps / products, ability to do front-end coding using frameworks like Bootstrap, Angular, React, Backbone
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary based on your experience and portfolio. Please provide samples of your work or a link to your portfolio with your application.
What you are looking for in your career
- An office full of extremely talented, mission-driven people.
- The chance to use your skills to help a huge range of customers and business compete in the new and growing e-commerce landscape
- A company where you feel connected to and appreciated by your customers and coworkers for being great at your job
- Catered lunch at least once a week in a cool office space, in a great location inside one of the best cities in the USA (Austin!)
- Health, dental, vision insurance
- Employee Stock Purchase and 401k plans
- Flexible vacation and paid holidays
- Pick your own tech gear
- Weekly catered lunch
- Drinks and snacks of your choice + beer
ShipStation is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled