Director, Sales Engineering & Solutions Architecture
BigCommerce, named a "Best Place to Work" in Austin in 2017 is looking for a Director, Sales Engineering & Solutions Architecture to join our team! Reporting to the VP, Mid-Market & Channel Sales, you will be responsible for the entire pre-sales / solutions process through hand-off to our Client Services team. As a leader, you will be a champion and advocate for BigCommerce merchants and prospects, working cross-functionally to ensure we deliver solutions that drive our clients' success.
Our ideal candidate has experience at a successful eCommerce or SaaS business and proven track record of building and scaling Sales and Solutions Engineering Teams that help drive revenue. You strike a rare balance having a strong technical background, business acumen, and deep insight into the eCommerce space with the ability to effectively communicate with Merchants, Partners and internal team members at all levels.
What you'll do
Lead and Manage
- Lead and scale the team responsible for developing and delivering product demonstrations and technical pre-sales conversations
- Leverage your deep industry and solution knowledge to both engage and educate our largest or most complex merchant prospects and inspire and level-up the overall capabilities of the Sales Engineering team
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure solutions are implemented and supported in line with client expectations
Strategize and Innovate
- Refine the pre-sales and solutions engineering processes including discovery, technical qualification, migration scoping, product demonstration creation and automation
- Collaborate with sales leadership and marketing in the development of acquisition strategies for enterprise clients
- Offer advice and support to requests for proposals (RFPs) for Sales and Strategic Business Development.
- Provide input on product development or enhancements to existing products to product marketing based on customer and market insights and feedback
- Partner with Marketing, advising and assisting with analyst relations and communications
- Serve as an external spokesperson for the organization by hosting thought leadership events, workshops, industry events, and by presenting new products and helping prospects understand and use existing products
Who you are
- 10+ years experience as a technical leader or advisor, preferably in a sales engineering and/or solutions engineering capacity
- 5+ years experience building and managing successful teams preferred
- In depth knowledge of competitive offerings and partners, ideally including 7+ years experience in the SaaS eCommerce industry
- Sound knowledge of Salesforce and a deep understanding of internet technologies (shopping carts, web hosting, email and online marketing tools).
- B.S. Computer Science, Software Engineering, MIS or equivalent work experience. Advanced degrees desirable.
- Achiever - Passionate about client service and satisfaction with a proven history of successfully, consistently achieving objectives
- Visionary - Ability to Think Big, consult on advanced product features, and plan for the future with imagination and wisdom.
- Coach - A high energy professional with a positive attitude and deep desire to develop people and grow their careers in a supportive, yet accountable, work environment.
- Problem Solver - Ability to identify and creatively solve complex problems, including matters related to systems and sales processes.
- Master Influencer - Excellent written/verbal communication, customer relationship skills, and presentation skills are critical.
- Collaborative - Ability to forge strong bonds and work collaboratively with key external and internal partners such as Marketing, Business Development, Product, other Sales channels.
- Efficient - Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Ethical - You believe in our mission, share our values and understand that it’s not just about what you get done, but also how you do it.
- Travel Flexible - Ability to travel domestically or internationally as needed (est. 8-12 weeks per year).
BigCommerce is a robust, flexible commerce platform that provides established and emerging brands with everything they need to launch, promote, manage and scale a successful online store.BigCommerce merchants earn more than retailers on competitive commerce solutions thanks to advanced features, better site performance and streamlined business processes. Founded in 2009, the company has received more than $100 million in funding from SoftBank Capital, American Express, Telstra Ventures, General Catalyst, Revolution Growth and FLOODGATE. BigCommerce supports thousands of retailers around the world from its offices in San Francisco, Austin and Sydney.
We’re a team of smart, passionate and talented people on a mission to democratize commerce. If you’re looking to work with industry leaders and love what you do, we want to hear from you!
Perks & Benefits
- An amazing company culture that doesn’t just talk values, but lives them
- Open vacation policy for salaried team members and generous accrual vacation policy for hourly team members, + paid sick time
- Competitive compensation packages and meaningful stock grants for every employee
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage that starts on day one
- Fully stocked kitchens and craft beers (don’t worry, we also subsidize gym memberships)
- Three especially cool offices in Austin, San Francisco and Sydney
- A free online store to help you live out your entrepreneurial dreams
- Employee-driven teambuilding activities like paintball, rock climbing, social sports leagues, hackathons, movie nights, river floats, etc.
- Time off for volunteering and employee-driven charity events